Background

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Dad's Stewed Zucchini

I'm in a harvest-preservation mindset...

And do you know what I think of when I have an abundance of zucchini?  My dad's stewed zucchini.
image

It's one of my comfort foods. My dad would lovingly would make this side dish as the zucchini from his garden would start producing.  He would often add a quart of his homemade stewed tomatoes from the garden. I remember my eyes were just tall enough to watch it bubble and stew in his wok on the stove. You see, he cooked this in a wok because it was his biggest pan, and he was cooking for a family of 7. Such warm memories I have of this dish!  

A few months ago, I served it with quinoa on the side. They were good together, so good that I actually ended up mixing the two of them together on my plate.  Now, I'm thinking of making a huge batch, maybe in my wok, and freezing it in quart sized zip-top baggies for a quick side dish to last my family through the hard winter.
image

I don't follow a written recipe for stewed zucchini because my dad never did. However, in case my memory fades I would like to document the method of making this tasty dish. It's really simple.

Ingredients: 
2 medium zucchini, sliced. 
1 yellow onion, sliced.  
1 to 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced. 
A bit of olive oil. 
1 quart stewed tomatoes or 1 to 2 cans of diced tomatoes.  
Salt and pepper.

Method: 
Sweat out the onions in olive oil with the garlic over medium heat. 
Add the sliced zucchini and sprinkle with salt and pepper and saute a little longer. 
Add the stewed tomatoes and stir it all together. 
Simmer together for 20 to 30 minutes.

Note: You can always add more zucchini or onion or tomato or you can even use bacon drippings instead of olive oil, like my dad has done on occasion, if you like.

How do you like to make your zucchini?

Sharing at Tuesday Garden Party

No comments:

Post a Comment